Alpha 2-7 Cav Vietnam
Searchable A/2-7 Cav Roster
7th Cavalry.Com Website
The First Team Insigna (Patch)
The First Cavalry Division Association Website
David Floyd, Webmaster
A/2-7 Cav NAM 69-70
Website Established April 2004

Upated : February 2019/JFB

Dear Brother Troopers,
Family Members and Friends:
whom, since we first published this website to
the Internet in 2004, have generously shared
your personal photos, information,
memories, memoriums, posted comments in the
guest book, sent emails, provided excellent
technical advice, supportivness, suggestions
and other assistance!

If you have photos, memories, videos,
website links, or other items you want
posted and/or, suggestions email me at:
Or, my sister:
Jenni Floyd Balis, U.S. Navy, Retired

A/2-7 Website Designer/Editor

All information/photos on this site are
posted by request and with permission.
For sourced online information, authors,
photos, website links, etc , when the owner
information is available the
acknowledgement/recognition is
stated/shown within the posting. If you or,
someone else deserves credit for any
postings or, if you think an item should not
be posted on this site email me or, Jenni
and we will address your issue.

We do not publish telephone numbers,
email addresses, home or mailing
addresses; any exceptions are by request
and with permission only. Please
contact me for additional information.

NOTE: When you send photos please, if
possible include, for historical purposes,
any pertinent information you may recall
such as, dates (day, month, year),
location(s), and names!

LOST PHOTOS: If anyone emailed photos
to be posted and you do not see them
posted PLEASE resend them to me or, to
Jenni. Somehow, I've either lost them or, I
accidentally deleted them from my
computer. I apologize and hope no one is
upset. As I recall, these photos were
possibly from 69-70 and that some were of
1st Platoon Troopers.

When you sent me postal mail or email me
or, Jenni copies of photos or,
other information please email me or,
Jenni if you are not notified of the posting
or, if do not see your items posted onto the
website within a reasonable amount of
GarryOwen and Welcome Home!
Alpha 2-7 CAV Vietnam
Website Established April 2004
By: David Floyd NAM 69-70
& Jenni Floyd Balis
© Copyright 2004- Indef/DBF
"All Rights Reserved, 2004-Indef"
David Floyd, 20004.
Sourced from:
Click Huey for:
"God's Own Lunatics"
By: Joe Galloway

Last Commander of A/2-7 Cav NAM
Last Shots Fired
Last Boots on the Ground

I served as a Platoon Leader under Robert Powell in a previous Vietnam tour when he commanded Company C, 1-503 Inf 173rd Abn
Bde in 1968. When Robert Powell took over A/2-7 Cav in 1970, he adopted the moniker of “Cold Steel Alpha” for the company and
required each soldiers in the company carrying an M-16 Rifle to have his bayonet fixed at all times. To my knowledge, no other rifle
company in all of Vietnam had such a policy. Indeed, there were usually very few bayonets carried in the field much less fixed. His
rationale was to build up a sense of esprit in a unit that had a morale problem before he took over.

Robert Powell also assigned names to each Platoon in lieu of the standard 1st Platoon, 2nd Platoon and 3rd Platoon. We had
Marauders, Raiders and Headhunters. Platoon call signs were “Marauder Six” – Platoon Leader, “Marauder Five” – Platoon Sergeant,
“Marauder One” – 1st Squad Leader, “Marauder Two” -2nd Squad Leader and “Marauder Three” – 3rd Squad Leader. The same call-
sign system applied to the Raider Platoon and the Headhunter Platoon. If you were a Radio Operator, your call sign had a “Romeo”
appended to it. Thus, the call sign of the radio operator for the Headhunter Platoon Leader was “Headhunter Six Romeo.”

When I assumed command of A/2-7 Cav, we had three platoons with three squads each. Each squad had a PRC-77 FM Radio, an
M-60 Machine Gun, an M-203 Grenade Launcher and the rest armed with M-16 Rifles. Platoon Leaders carried an XM-177E1 Carbine
and the Platoon Headquarters consisted of the Platoon Leader, his Radio Operator, an attached Platoon Medic and the Platoon
Sergeant. Platoon field strength varied between a rare high of about 40 personnel to a low of about 18 personnel. Average was about
32 personnel. We did not have the strength to have two separate fire teams in each squad, but we made-up for it with an M-60 Machine
Gun team organic to each squad. When maneuvering it was always by squad.

The Company Headquarters in the field consisted of 6 personnel, the Company Commander, the First Sergeant (our company was the
only company that had its actual First Sergeant in the field with his troops, all other companies had the First Sergeant in the rear with
the Company XO, Company Clerk, and Company Supply Sergeant), the Artillery Forward Observer and three Radio Operators: one for
the Battalion Net and one for the Company Internal Net.These two Radio Operators stayed within arms-length of the Company
Commander so he could operate on either net. The third PRC-77 was on the Fire Support Net and that Radio Operator stayed within
arms-length of the Forward Observer.

The company did not carry any crew served weapons other than the M-60s. We did carry a number of LAWs and lots of Claymores,
Smoke Grenades, and Fragmentation Grenades. A Rifleman carried by Company SOP: 20 M-16 Magazines (400 rounds) two Smoke
Grenades, two Fragmentation Grenades and a Claymore. Every Squad carried: a D-Handle Shovel, 3 Entrenching Tools, 3 Machetes
and 2 LAWs. Each Platoon Headquarters carried an Entrenching Tool and a Pick Axe. One Platoon carried a climbing rope, one
platoon the Starlight Scope and one platoon the Demo Kit. The Company Headquarters also carried the Secure Device to allow for
encrypted voice communication (it cut your radio range by about a third) and a 292 Antenna Head (it increased your radio range by
about a third if hoisted up into a tree and connected by coax to the radio).

Although the Signal Operating Instructions (SOI) issued each month published randomly generated alpha-numeric call signs for your
unit, we used the SOI call signs only on the Battalion Net and the Fire Control Net. Technically, we were required to use the SOI for the
Company Internal Net. However, we were only issued 2 SOIs carried by the Battalion Net Radio Operator and the Fire Support Radio
Operator. It just was a bridge too far to try and get all 13 Company Net Radio Operators and corresponding leaders familiar enough
with the SOI to not inflict confusion in communication when it mattered most.

Routinely, Rifle Companies operated in the jungle for a 15 day period hunting and humping. Then, 5 days back on the Battalion firebase
as base guard company (there were four Rifle Companies per Rifle Battalion). Usually there were two Log days while in the jungle for
15 days when one or two Hueys would conduct a 4 hour or so resupply.

At the very end, I made sure that I was the last man in the Company with boots on the ground in enemy territory when we returned to
Long Bin to stand-down. I had the last Huey wait until I emptied my XM-177E1 on full automatic into the wood-line as the last shots fired
in anger by the A Company in Vietnam. Purely symbolic, but what the hell. You may be pleased to know, that for the year that A/2-7 Cav
was commanded by Robert Powell and myself, the Company recorded more enemy KIA than any of other 35 Rifle Companies organic
to the 1st Cavalry Division.

Brigadier General, US Army, Retired

Click to visit  Brigadier General Bergquist's A/-27 Cav's Webpage


Posted: February 2015/JFB
My Name is Kenneth Bergquist
I was the last Commander of A/2-7 Cav in Vietnam serving from late
October 1970 and until deactivation in late March of 1971.

I replaced Robert Powell, who served as the Company
Commander the preceding six months.
A Walk in the Sun
A Vietnam War Documentary on the Events
November 1965
LZ Albany Battle of the Ia Drang And includes
some of the brave Troopers of Alpha 2-7 Cav
as depicted in
"We Were Soldiers."

Produced by:
The Military History and Multimedia Classes
Lorain County JVS, 2010

Music "Army Strong"
By:The United States Army Field Band
Posted February 2015/JFB
Ia Drang Valley
1965: Where the US Truly Went to War
Article in the Stars and Stripes   
A wounded trooper of the1st Battalion, 7th Cavalry is
attended to by fellow troopers during the fight for
Landing Zone X-Ray in the Ia Drang Valley
Sourced from The 7th United States Cavalry
7th Cavalry Website
Posted November 2015/JFB
David Floyd NAM 69-70.
From: Jenni Floyd Balis
A/2-7 Cav Vietnam Website Designer/Editior:
I am always in process redesigning and updating
this Navagation Page.
So, please stay tuned and visit again soon!
????  RTO's Where
Are You Now  ????
We Honor Your Service and Miss Your
Posted: March 2014/JB
Trying To Locate
Brother Troopers
Who Served as RTO's
With A/2-7 Cav NAM 66-67
Click to Visit Page
Submitted by Bill Hoffman
A/2-7 Cav
Postedt: August 2013/jb
4 Men On Flying Trapeze
The downblast from a
hovering Chinook's twin
blades sways the ladder as
troops of A Co, 2nd Bn., 7th
1st Air Cav Div make their way
upward during training
exercises at the division Fire
Support Base Pershing.

Published in: USA
Pacific Stars and Stripes
Wednesday Dec. 9, 1970
NAM Christmas 1969 on
Firebase Jamie
Submitted by: Ray Horner
A/2-7 Cav

Posted December 2013/JB
Graveyard at LZ 4
Battle of Cu Nghi on the Bong Son Plain
Between January 28-31, 1966
Battalions of the 7th and 12th Cavalry, 1st Cav Division
Won a Hard-Fought Round with the NVA and VC
"Operation Masher"
Posted January 2016 as per request from RIchard Abell A/2-7 Cav/JFB
Click link below to read article
Tom Huebl
A/2-7 Cav NAM 1969

Posted: February 2016/JFB

Submitted by: Richard Abell, A/2-7 Cav NAM
Posted: February 2016/JFB
Beer Run, Vietnam 1968
At a time when the Vietnam War was at its height, one man, John
"Chickie" Donohue, snuck back into the war zone to find his 3 closest
friends and buy them a beer.

Click link below to watch

Submitted By:
SGT Mike Kovitch, RTO  A/2-7 Cav NAM

Fifty years ago, on February 18, 1966,

I was inducted into the U.S. Army on Ponce de Leon Ave
in the old converted Sears Building in Atlanta, Georgia.

There were hundreds of us there that particular day and
none of us were happy.
There was no military lottery yet and the Army and
Marines were drafting everybody, or so it seemed.  

Little did I know what would be in store for me the next
two years.
So long ago, and still I remember much of it to this day.

This was to be the first time in my life I truly felt like  just
a number, just a piece of meat. Basic training would
begin in just a few days as we were off that evening to Ft.
Benning GA., my duty station for the next few months.

In a month I would turn 21 and on that very day, a
Saturday night, when everyone else was out on the town,
I was pulling K.P. What a way to spend your 21st birthday
day. I was pretty depressed, and little did I know just how
depressed I would get in the coming months.

I can look back and laugh now, but I wasn't laughing
much then. None of us were. My war had begun.
Fifty years. Boy! That makes me feel old for sure.
Ha! When I now look at photos of me on Alpha, I almost
don't recognize myself.
We all looked so young. Just kids, all of us. Glad the
nightmare is over.

Click here to visit Mike's Updates, Photos information and More

Posted: February 2016/JFB
Vietnam War Statstics
Click underlined text link below
Submitted by:
Richard Abell, A/2-7 Cav Vietnam 1970
Posted March 2016/JFB
Operation Byrd A/2-7 Cav Information
Click to view link
Photo sourced from Facebook and Submitted by:
David Collins Alpha 2-7 Cav NAM

A Radioman comforts his friend who just survived
a battle during Operation Byrd in which his platoon
Alpha 2-7 Cav 1st Cav Division Airmobile 1966 was
nearly wiped out.
Posted: March 2016/JFB
Submitted by:
David R. Collins A/2-7 Jul 69 - Jul 70

I found this picture and thought others might be interested.

During Operation Masher/Whitewing in late January 1966, Captain Joel
Sugdinis (squatting in foreground) and his command group, Alpha 2-7 1st
Cavalry Division, calling artillery against an NVA position. Their assault
was stalled by intense enemy fire on LZ 4 in the Bong Song District.

Photo Credit:
Page 77
The American Experience in Vietnam,
By: Clark Dougan and Stephen Weiss
Boston Publishing Company 1988         

Posted: May 2015/JFB
David Floyd, Webmaster
Jenni Floyd Balis, Website Designer
A/2-7 Cav NAM 69-70
Photos submitted by
Paul Redinger
Posted April 2016/JFB
On 6 May 1966, 1LT Martin J. Hammer, 2nd Platoon Leader of A Company, 2-7th
Cavalry earned the Distinguished Service Cross near the village of Than Binh,
Vietnam. 1LT Hammer was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross by President
Johnson during his visit to Vietnam on 1 October 1966.

The President of the United States takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Service
Cross to Martin J. Hammer (OF-101931), First Lieutenant (Infantry), U.S. Army, for
extraordinary heroism in connection with military operations involving conflict with an armed
hostile force in the Republic of Vietnam. On 6 May 1966, First Lieutenant Hammer was serving
as 2d Platoon Leader, Company A, 2d Battalion, 7th Cavalry, 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile),
near the insurgent-held village of Than Binh when they became engaged with a force of
North Vietnamese estimated to be of battalion size. As the company moved in on the
insurgents, the 2d Platoon moved from its reserve position to block an avenue of escape
around the company's right flank.

Despite the increased volume of insurgent fire, Lieutenant Hammer led his platoon across
more than 150 meters of sniper infested area to an effective blocking position against the
insurgent's withdrawal. While moving from squad to squad, he was wounded in the wrist.
Requiring help, Lieutenant Hammer braved the fire to direct a unit that had been sent up to
help his beleaguered platoon and was wounded a second time. Later the insurgents
launched a suicidal grenade attack on the 2d Platoon's left flank and Lieutenant Hammer
single-handedly repelled the attack. Discovering that one of his men had been wounded, he
again braved the insurgent's fire and dragged him to safety. While directing the 1st Platoon
that was sent up to reinforce his line, he received a serious shrapnel wound in the chest but
still refused evacuation in order to remain and direct his men during the remainder of the
fight. Only after his platoon was in its new position and the wounded taken care of did he
allow himself to be evacuated.

First Lieutenant Hammer's extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty were in keeping with
the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit,
and the United States Army.

Headquarters, US Army, Pacific, General Orders No. 216 (September 8, 1966)

Posted A/2-7 Cav Vietnam: JFB/May 2016
Alpha 2-7 Cav Vietnam
Mini Reunion
May 29, 2016
Grand Forks, North Dakota
Click to Visit Page
Posted June 2016/JFB
Peter J. Nigido

NAM Photos 1970

Click to visit Peter's page

Posted November 2015/JFB
"Brothers in War"
Produced by: National Geographic

Commentary by: Mike Kovitch, RTO NAM July 66 - July 67
Posted with permission: March 2017/JB
Recently, I stayed up until midnight watching a documentary called "Brothers In War," a
story about 160 men in Charlie Co 9th inf. who trained as a unit and then went over to NAM
also as a unit, sometime in Jan 1967. I remember that dark cloud hanging over me at that
time, as I was in country also, but with the 1st Cav, farther north than where they were in
the Mekong Delta. I thoroughly enjoyed the 2-hour documentary. But, was sad watching
their KIA and wounded stats at the end of the program. In their year in NAM, they had over
100 men wounded and suffered 26 KIA. That left, roughly 30 men or less that had not been
wounded in action during their tour.

The documentary  went on to explain that unlike most soldiers who went over as
(that includes me and everyone in Alpha at the time), they went over as a unit, highly
unusual during the Vietnam War. It reminded me also, when I first arrived in Nam, there
were roughly 150,000 of us and when we rotated a year later, there were almost 400,000
troops in country, the biggest single year build up of the war.99% of us were draftees at
that time.

I remember watching the news at Ft. Carson, my last duty station before mustering out in
February of 68, seeing the weekly KIA news reports hovering between 250-300 every week.
I think I need to visit the Wall and have a good cry while I pay my respects to my fallen
comrads. So, so sad and such a waste. I cannot comprehend 58,000 of us gone forever
and I will never be able to get a handle on that or the effect it had on all those that served. I
always have to watch these shows by myself, why I'm not sure, but when one of these
programs is well done, I get engrossed watching the experience of others who served as
did I and have a hard time leaving the screen in front of me. I am reminded of the horrific
sounds and sights but have to concentrate to remember that the pungent smells of
patrolling and battles were just as bad.

What the news media is rarely able to show you as you listen to the gunfire from you
armchair is the ricochet of those bullets cascading off everything around you, from
branches to the ground, to
whatever. I remember thinking to myself after my first firefight that pitched battle is
nothing like you had seen on TV for so many years. Nothing, including my training,
prepared me for that reality. I am so glad the war was finally over before my brother Mark
came of military age. He was 17 in 1973. I was then 28 and my war had been over for 5 yrs.
From: Joe Galloway:
For those who asked for a copy of the text of my Eulogy to Gen. Hal Moore here it is:

Eulogy for lt. Gen. Hal Moore Feb. 17, 2017
We are gathered here today to bid a fond farewell to the finest combat commander i ever met in 40 plus years of covering
Americans at war….from 1965 to 2006.

I know for absolute certain that hal moore is sitting with julie looking down on us and laughing like hell because he put one last
one over on his pal joe galloway. Many years back he insisted on us shaking hands on a deal that whichever one of us died first
the other would agree to preach his funeral. I was pretty sure the deck was stacked against me but as all those years rolled past
we all began to wonder if hal was going to outlive all of us. He knew better and all i can do now is my duty. A promise is a
promise. But i swear i can hear him laughing as i stand here before you.

Besides being my best friend for the last half century hal moore was my co-author in writing and publishing two books.
Partnering in writing a book is at least as frought with possible dangers as the institution of marriage….and yet we remained
best of friends throughout.

The year that hal’s beloved wife julie died i marked the next new year by sending an email to hal that read: i did not want another
year to pass without telling you how much you have meant in my life….and how much i love you.

He responded several days later with an email painfully punched in his computer one letter and one finger at a time; julie had
done all his correspondence to that point. What hal said was this: what there is between us transcends all other relationships.
You are my best friend! We placed our lives in each other hands in battle and there is only pure trust between us!

We have not come here to mourn the passing of a great man. We have come to celebrate the life he lived….the people he loved….
the good times and laughter that we all remember when we think of hal moore.

I first met lt col hal moore one morning in early november 1965 when we had all spent a wet, miserable night in our foxholes on a
high mountain plateau east of plei me special forces camp. We had endured a long hot walk in the sun and that cold night. I had
shivered and shook all night long and finally the sun was coming up and i quickly got out my c4 plastic explosive, pinched off a
tad, lit it and began boiling a canteen cup of water for my coffee. Then four combat boots appeared on the edge of my foxhole.
There stood hal moore and his alter ego sgt maj basil plumley.

Moore took one look at me and told me: in my battalion we all shave in the morning and that include raggedy ass reporters. I
look at my cup of hot water and dug out my razor and soap. Plumley had an evil grin on his face as he enjoyed that scene.

It was hal moore who green-lighted my entrance into the hell that was landing zone xray a few days later. I heard his voice over
the radio when captain matt dillon told him : “that reporter galloway wants to come in with us tonight.” Hal’s response: “if he’s
crazy enough to want to come in here and you’ve got room bring him!”

I dodged the other reporters hanging out at lz columbus until it got near dark and they caught a ride back to pleiku where they
could get a nice dinner and a hot shower and a warm bunk. And i got a ride with maj. Bruce crandall into the pages of history.

After the fighting died away at noon on tuesday november 16 hal and i walked away from the chaos of loading up and moving
out. I told him i wasn’t sure i could write this story. He said: you’ve got to, joe! You’ve got to tell the american people how my
troopers fought and how they died here!

From that day forward we were blood brothers. An unlikely and improbable couple – a professional military man and a raggedy
ass reporter for united press international. When hal began planning a new operation he would send word to me to get to
an khe….or he would send a helicopter to fetch me.

Let’s fast forward through ten years of hard research….finding an interviewing over 250 individuals on both sides of the
battle…to the point where we sat down and started writing we were soldiers once…and young at my farmhouse in the northern
virginia countryside. Hal and julie were staying at son steve’s home 15 miles away in woodbridge. But we were laboring away on
the book 16 or 18 hours each day….seven days a week.

In december of 1991 we were done and hal was going to catch a train with julie back to auburn. He stood outside my home,
shaking his head, and declared: now i know why virginia was famous for slavedrivers!! He claimed i had shackled his leg to my
dining room table and even kept him from conjugal visits to miss julie. All i could do was grin.

When the book was published we began the first of three grueling cross-country book tours. Hal had fallen on the ski slopes at
crested butte and shattered his hip. The docs were impressed with the bone strength of this elderly gentleman and decided to
just put in screws and glue it all together. We set off on the tour with hal on crutches and in ever increasing pain.

Each day was the same. Up at 3am in some cheap motel and off to the airport. A new city with 12 or 15 interviews, a lunch
speech, and another cheap motel. Before long hal began grousing over the early wakeups and began blaming me. I told him to
suck it up, using one of his favorite dictums, that he had been in the army and west point for 37 years total and he had gotten up
early every day of those years. Hal shook his head and told me: that’s right joe and i have been slowly reclaiming all those lost
hours of sleep. I had just gotten to the korean war when you interrupted my program!!!

The real delight was when miss julie joined us for a stop or two on the book tour. Hal had to behave when she was around and
she knew it. I always delighted when we passed through the main gate of this or that army base and julie sighed and loudly
declared: home again! Safe in the arms of holy mother army!! And she meant it too.

When i made a particularly emotional speech julie would tell me: joe galloway you made me cry again. It ruins my makeup.
You’ve got to stop that!

I called the moore residence one morning to read to hal the prologue to our book that i had written early that morning. Hal was
off getting the mail so i read it to julie. At the end there was silence. Then julie said: joe galloway you may live to be 100 years old,
and i hope you do, but you will never write anything finer than this in your life! I knew then i had knocked it out of the ballpark.

Hal and i made two research trips back to vietnam to interview the commander who had done their best to kill us all in the ia
drang valley. On a third trip with forrest sawyer and an abc crew we finally achieved hal’s lifelong dream of a return to the ia
drang battlefields. Hal had told me years before that one day he wanted to go there, to walk the perimeter of those foxholes
around lz xray and, more than that, he wanted to spend the night on that battlefield. I told him the north vietnamese would never
allow that. He said something to the effect of hide and watch, joe.

That magical day finally came true and we filed off the old russian hind helicopter abc was paying a fortune to charter for us. At
the end of a long hot day walking that ground and being interviewed on camera it was time to leave. The helicopter would have
to take two round trips to get us all back to pleiku. We sent most of the vietnamese and most of the american veterans out in the
first lift. It was still in sight when hal said: joe, tell the boys to gather up a bunch of firewood and fill all our canteens from the
creek. I asked why? He said never mind just pass my orders. Besides us there were four us veterans, a vietnamese interpreter,
the abc crew. I gave the orders and former capt. Larry gwin asked me: joe, has the heat got to the old man? I said never mind,
just do as he says.

That chopper had not made it back to pleiku before the most awesome monsoon clouds rolled in over us. I had the only poncho
and it was seized and placed over our wood pile. We just stood there in a blinding rain like a bunch of jackasses in a hailstorm.
There would be no helicopter coming back for us in the dark now. I knew hal moore had arranged this whole thing in one of his
talks with god.

When the rain stopped we built our fire and sat back and watched a clear sky full of stars overhead. Suddenly there was a
meteor shower like nothing any of us had ever witnessed. Every few seconds another flash across the sky. It went on for an
hour or more. We all took it as a sign from all the souls who had died in this lonely wilderness. They were telling us that they
were at peace and so should we be. So should we be!

That night with my back against one of those little scrub trees i napped. When i would wake up i would see the figure of hal
moore walking the perimeter, communing with his beloved troopers who had held the line until death claimed them. All that night
he patrolled the perimeter. Back in pleiku lt gen nguyen huu an, hal’s opposite number in the battle, was walking the floor of his
hotel room worried sick that something would happen to us out in the valley. He had called the defense ministry trying to get
them to order the chopper pilots to fly back out in darkness. What he heard was: general, you mean to tell us that you have let an
american general, an american reporter and a network film crew get stranded out in a highly secure zone??? He had reason to
worry about us.

I was at julie’s bedside the night before she passed away. She awoke and told me: oh joe. We have come so far together and still
have so far to go! Her death took a lot of the joy out of hal’s life and brought loneliness into it for the first time ever. He talked of
wanting to die when we sat outside talking in the garden of the hospice. I told him he couldn’t do that. We still had work to do.
Hal asked what work? I told him we had to write the follow-on book to we were soldiers. He perked up and we got through 18
months of writing we are soldiers still and another round of book tours.

I could go on with this story telling all afternoon but it is time to wrap it up.

Hal moore: you changed my life. You made my life much stronger and better. You taught me how to build character. How to
follow a moral compass. How to always stand for what was right. I have loved you as a brother and as a father. You were my
captain in battle. We stood side by side fighting off an enemy determined to kill us all and thanks to you and your leadership we
prevailed. You taught me how to forgive our enemies and indeed to make friends with them long years later. I have loved you for
51 unbroken years and i will carry your memory and your example with me all the days that are left to me.

I would like to close with this Native American prayer of farewell:

Thank you for what you gave to me.

Thank you for what you took from me.

Thank you for what you left with me.

Dear Alpha 2-7 CAV Troopers
My name is Darrel Dalton
I am seeking your help!
I am searching for any informatiion or photos
regarding my Uncle:
James Wendell Dalton
He served with Alpha 2-7 Cav in NAM Dec 68 - Feb 69,
and his photo and medals are shown below.
Please Contact Me @

DEC 1968 - FEB 1969

CPL - E4 - Army - Selective Service

1st Cav Division (AMBL)
Length of service 0 years

His tour began on Dec 9, 1968
Casualty was on Feb 19, 1969

DOB: Jun 19, 1947: Age 21
Marital Status: SIngle

Home of Record
County of Record

Posted by request: JFB/ Nov 2017
Kenneth L. Surber NAM 1971
Click Here to visit webpage

My name is Doc Roger Lutz, I was the head medic of Bravo Co Dec 1968.

My email address is:
Office and Afterhours Ph: (707) 944-2471

I picked up a soldier in a log bird from Alpha Co who had been left outside
the perimeter and consequently was shot up by a snoopy bird when
Alpha, Bravo, & Charlie went in to support Delta Dec 3, 1968.

I took care of him and delivered him to the 15th Med on the log bird.
Would any of you remember his name and if he lived? I would appreciate
it if any could provide me with any information.

As I took him back, we were able to exchange a few words, and in a way, I
became a part of Alpha Company, as well.

Doc Lutz

As the medic with Delta at Khe Sanh 1968, I served with you as we
cleared the way and took over Khe Sanh."

Click here to visit Doc Lutz' page
Posted with permission Sept 2018/JFB

It has been over fifty years since my combat tour in Vietnam. Occasionally, after returning to
civilian life, someone would ask me about the spoils of war. What they were referring to, of
course, are goodies, firearms, trinkets, memorabilia, etc., like those from the greatest
generation, soldiers of which brought back from WWII, that I might have been fortunate
enough to bring home.

I always chuckle at the question, at least in my case, we patrolled the rural areas, the
agricultural areas of Vietnam, where there was no wealth and most people were simple rice
farmers. Any weapons we captured had to be turned into Battalion HQ, upon returning from
patrol and we never saw them again, unlike during WWII, we weren't allowed to keep them.

Of the few items I did bring back, the one that stands out the most was the enemy soldier
inspired hand-made V.C. bullet lamp, long ago captured from an enemy soldier after a
firefight in the Central Highlands of South Vietnam. During my year in country, I saw about a
half dozen of these unique little pocketable lamps, always while on patrol out in the boonies.
The one I am about to describe and pictured below, is the only one I was able to retain and
bring home after completion of my tour.
As I gaze upon this little lamp, which now sits on my desk, it serves to remind me of a time I
spent in country and the years of effort trying to forget.

From the first one I ever saw, I was immediately impressed with how clever and inventive our
enemy could be. The very first lamp I saw put me on notice “never” underestimate my
enemy, nor his capabilities.

Before handling the lamp I now have, I inspected it closely, for fear it might be a booby trap
of some sort, something always on your mind while on patrol. Satisfied that it looked
harmless, I proceeded to pick it up and placed it in one of my fatigue pockets. A few days
later, after completion of our recon patrol, I began to inspect it closely and was amazed at the
simple but cleverly designed lamp, admiring the ingenuity that went into it.

Let me describe the parts that make up this lamp. First, is a small glass bottle, which
probably held some sort of cough syrup or other type of liquid. Mine did not have a lid or cap
for the bottle but several I had seen on earlier patrols did. Sticking out of the top of the bottle
was some type of metal cylinder made of hollow brass, with what appeared to be a wick
threaded thru the entire cylinder, the cylinder then inserted thru a bullet and cartridge,
seated in the neck of the bottle, holding here firmly in place and not dropping thru to the
bottom of the bottle. I proceeded to pull up on the brass cylinder and wick which allowed me
to remove the bullet, cartridge and wick, all connected together.

Closer examination showed the bullet and cartridge to have somehow been drilled out on
both ends, allowing the brass cylinder to be inserted through both pieces. The brass
cylinder, as it turned out, happened to be a ballpoint pen insert and spring. So, with the
bullet removed from the cartridge, the inventor, after having drilled a hole through the bullet,
vertically and another hole through the base of the cartridge, then inserted the ballpoint pen
and spring mechanism, on end through the bullet and the other through the cartridge of the
bullet to be recessed by depressing the brass ballpoint pen cylinder, squeezing back
together. The spring allows the wick at the top of the bullet to be recessed by depressing the
brass ballpoint pen cylinder down into the bottle, thus allowing the user to put a bottle cap
on for safe storage, protecting the fuel inside the bottle. Removing the cap allows the spring
tension to pop the brass cylinder up for instant use.

To this day, I marvel at the simple engineering of this bullet lamp. Which does not produce
much light when lit, being so small, I'm sure it provided an effective means of what was
probably a very much appreciated form of illumination, no matter its limitations, quite useful
at the time.
     Posted by Request JFB/November 2018
Bullet Lamp
Submitted by: SGT Mike Kovitch, RTO
A/2-7 Cav Jul 66 - Jul 67
To enlarge Bullet Lamp photo
or double click on photo

Posted with permission: January 2019/JFB
Going on a mission with Cold Steel

I was serving in NAM with A/2-7 Cav, the best
fighting men this country had.

My contribution was small. But, I survived that day.
I’ve cried a million tears. I've thought of my fellow
troopers everyday since.
I’ve gone on to live a good life.

Some of you gave all. I’m so sorry for that!
I love you!
Feb 11,1971
Dear Brother Troopers:
I am hoping to locate  
Larry V. Pimetal, whom I was stationed with during one
month of jungle training at Fort Benning.  We then
served together in NAM.  Larry's rank in NAM was E4 and
he was one of my fireteam members.  
I sent a letter to him at PO Box 801E,
East Falmouth, Maine 02536.
However, I received it back as returned  to sender.
This is the only info I have on him.  If you have any
information about him, please
email me at
                                                  JERRY DZEROOGIAN
                                                   NAM 65
Click on any photo to enlarge
Posted by request/January 2019/JFB
 Jerry Dzeroogian Photos taken at Fort Riley, Kansas
Full Division layout at Fort Riley, we stood in ranks for 4-5 hours.
I was in 1st Division 26 Infantry (Mechanized).